Relation Between Dry unit Weight, Bulk unit Weight & Water Content
In this article,we will make the formula/relation between the dry unit weight(), bulk unit weight() and water content(w).
[Note: Bulk unit weight means bulk density, and dry unit weight means dry density. So, be careful if the question is like that; derive the relation between bulk density, dry density and water content, therefore, the answer will be same.]
- W = Total weight of given soil mass.
- V = Total volume of the given soil mass.
- = Weight of soil solid in a given soil mass.
- = Weight of water present in the given soil mass.
- w = Moisture content or Water content.
From the definition of water content, we can write,
[Add 1 in both sides]
[ We know, Total weight = Weight of water + Weight of soil solid. So, ]
Again from the definition of dry unit weight, We have,
[Now, put the value of , which we have got from the above equation]
[We know, ]
So, the final relation or formula is