How Can You Get good Natural ventilation in buildings?1st June 2020
How Can You Get good Natural ventilation in buildings?
First of all, it should be remembered that natural ventilation mostly effective for small houses, not for large buildings. This system works by providing windows, doors, small openings and ventilators in a proper location of any house. The following points should be considered to achieve good natural ventilation in buildings.
1. Inlet openings (means the opening which receive air from the atmosphere) should be located in such a way that all the portion of the room is evenly ventilated. The inlet opening should be located in the direction of wind blows and at a low level.
2. Outlet opening (which helps warm air to blow out from the rooms) should be located near the ceiling in the side walls of the room. Some time the outlet may be located in the roof, in this case, the area of the inlet openings should be larger than the area of the outlet.
3. The height of the room also affects the ventilation. More room height gives better ventilation as compared short room height.
4. Ventilation through windows can be improved by using deflector, radiator and exhaust ducts, etc.
5. It should ensure that there is no obstruction to the portion of inlet and outlet opening by trees, partitions, adjacent buildings or other obstructions. Because, it prevents the flow of winds through the opening, and reduce the rate of ventilation.
6. Long narrow rooms should be ventilated by providing openings in short walls instead of long walls.
7. If the wind direction is variable, then opening should be provided in all the direction wind.
8. If gas or fuel is to be burnt in the room, then the extra ventilation should be provided by providing extra windows or large size of the outlet opening.