Necessity of Providing Joints in Cement Concrete Road
Joints are provided in cement concrete road (pavement) to achieve the following objectives (Read more- what is joint in cement concrete road)
1. To allow for expansion of the slab due to the rise in slab temperature.
2. To permit the contraction of the slab due to the fall in slab temperature.
3. To relieve stresses included due to warping.
4. To prevent longitudinal cracking in the pavement as a result of differential shrinkage and swelling due to rapid change in subgrade moisture under the edges than the center of the road.
5. Construction joints are provided to close the day’s job and for the commencement of the same in the next day.