Advantages and Disadvantages Of Cement Concrete Road (Rigid Pavements)24th August 2018
Advantages & Disadvantages Of Cement Concrete Road
The road pavements which cannot change their shape without rupture are known as rigid pavements. The best example of rigid pavements is cement concrete road.
Following the advantages and disadvantages of cement concrete road are described below
Advantages Of Cement Concrete Road
1. Concrete roads have a long life.
2. They are quite durable and practically unaffected by weathering agencies.
3. They provide an excellent riding surface under all weather condition.
4. They provide an impervious, dustless and sanitary surface.
5. No corrugations are developed in cement concrete roads.
6. They can be laid on any sub-grade.
7. They provide good visibility for traffic during night hours.
8. They are practically non-slippery and offer less tractive resistance.
9. Their load carrying capacity is more.
10. Their maintenance cost is very low.
Disadvantages of Cement Concrete Road
1. The initial cost of construction is very high.
2. They require skilled supervision and labour for their construction.
3. They are liable to crack and warp due to temperature variations.
4. They become noisy under iron-tyred traffic.
5. They are less resilient than bituminous or WBM roads.
6. They may cause glare due to reflected sunlight.
7. They can not be opened to traffic shortly after construction.
8. It is very difficult to provide or repair underground pipes below cement concrete.