Curves on Railway Track
The geometrical arcs provided at the change in alignment or gradient of a track are known as a curve.
Purposes of Providing Curves on a Railway Track
Curves are provided on the railway track to achieve the following purpose/objects.
1. To bypass the natural or artificial obstacles.
2. To provide an easier gradient.
3. To route the line through areas having traffic potential.
4. To balance the earthwork in cutting and filling and thereby minimizing the cost of construction.
5. To avoid costly land by diversion form the straight route.
6. To provide the track on the stable and safe side of the hill by changing alignment.
7. To make the alignment through the best site selected for a bridge over the river coming in the alignment.