Rigid Pavement Failures
A rigid pavement failure is observed by the development of structural crack resulting in progressive subsidence of some portions of pavement.
Following 6 general causes of pavement failures are described below:
1. Defects in the quality of material used.
2. Defects in the construction method and quality control during construction.
3. Inadequate surface drainage or subsurface drainage in the locality.
4. Increase in the magnitude of wheel loads and the number of load repetitions due to increase in traffic volume.
5. Settlement of foundation of embankment.
6. Environment factors including heavy rainfall,soil erosion,high water table,snow fall,frost action etc.