Following are the advantages and disadvantages of broken brick ballast are described below
Advantages of broken Bricks as Ballast
1. It is cheap.
2. It is locally available.
3. It has fairly good drainage quality.
Disadvantages of Broken Bricks as Ballast
1. It turns into powder under traffic and makes the track dusty.
2. The rails laid over this ballast get Corrugated.
3. Maintenance of track laid with this ballast becomes difficult.
4. It corrodes metal sleepers and rails.
5. It is unsuitable for heavy and high-speed traffic.