8 Causes of Dampness into a Structure -Civilnoteppt22nd April 2019
8 Causes of Dampness Into a Structure
The various causes responsible for the entry of dampness into a structure, following 8 causes of dampness are:
1. Rising of the groundwater table.
2. The entry of rainwater through the unprotected external walls, leakage in roof of a building.
3. Deposition of moisture on walls, floors, ceilings due to condensation of air.
4. The entry of rainwater through the exposed top of walls.
5. Inadequate drainage of rainwater from the roof due to its improper slope.
6. The inadequate drainage system of the surrounding areas where the building is situated.
7. Improper orientation of the building.
8. Bad workmanship at the time of construction such as defective rainwater pipe connections, defective joints in the roof, improper connection of walls, etc.