Importance of Highway Lighting
The rate of highway accidents and fatalities that occur during night driving is several times higher than that during daytime driving. To overcome this hazardous situation, highway lighting plays an important role. Following are some benefits and importance of highway lighting or street lighting.
1. Highway/street lighting enables road users mainly cyclists, pedestrians, bullock cart drivers, and motorists to see more accurately and easily the carriageway and its surrounding areas at night.
2. On a highway, all the vehicles have their own headlight, but it is not possible to fully depend on the headlights for night driving, if all vehicles are to drive with the full headlight on, the glare problem can cause a severe accident. Therefore, highway lighting is required to illuminate the carriageway and its surrounding.
3. Traffic flow conditions improve as the speed of traffic improves due to better lighting.
4. Due to the presence of traffic lights, the accident numbers at night time will be reduced.
5. There will be a reduction in highway crime at night.