Following the advantages and disadvantages of gravel ballast are described below
Advantages of Gravel as Ballast
- It is less costly than broken stone ballast.
- Its drainage property is excellent.
- It does not injure wooden sleeper during packing.
- It maintains good packing in pot and C.S.T – 9 sleepers.
Disadvantages of Gravel as Ballast
- Packing gets easily disturbed in flat sleepers.
- The greater cushion is necessary.
- Requires ballast wall to prevent spreading.
- It requires screening and washing before use