Following the advantages and disadvantages of Water Bound Macadam(W.B.M) road(Low-cost road) are described below:
Advantages of W.B.M road(low-cost road)
1. The initial cost of construction is less as compared to bituminous/cement concrete road.
2. The construction, as well as repair of W.B.M road, is easy.
3. This road can be constructed with ordinary labour.
4. Their maintenance cost is low.
Disadvantages of W.B.M road(low-cost road)
1. W.B.M provides inferior riding surface as compared to bituminous/cement concrete road.
2. W.B.M road surface do not provide sanitary surface since they can not be washed and cleaned easily.
3. This road surface cause dust nuisance under pneumatic tyred traffic.
4. The traffic capacity is less.
5. Life is less.
6. This road surface often becomes unserviceable during the monsoon period.
7. This road surface gets destroyed rapidly under mixed traffic condition.