Advantages of Welding of Rails
Following are the 8 advantages of welding of rails are described below:
1. It satisfies the condition of the perfect joint and thus increases the life of the rail and reduces maintenance costs.
2. It reduces the amount of creep.
3. Expansion effect due to temperature is reduced.
4. By eliminating joints, it provides a good riding quality.
5. It minimizes the wear of rails at joints.
6. Welding facilitates track circuiting on electrified tracks.
7. The cost of track construction by welding of rails decreases due to less the number of rail joints.
8. The welded rail offers more lateral, longitudinal and vertical stability to the track.