Blast Furnace Slag Ballast
It is a waste product obtained from the blast furnace of the steel industry. High-grade slag fulfills all the characteristics of good ballast.
Steel slag is a dense rock with a density of not less than 3.2 g/cm3, So, steel slag is successfully used as a rail ballast.
Advantages of Blast Furnance Slag Ballast:
1. It is cheap material.
2. It has good drainage properties.
3. It is a strong material.
4. It holds the tracks in correct alignment and gradient.
5. It can resist erosion.
Disadvantages of Blast Furnance Slag Ballast:
1. It is not available in large quantities.
2. Spreading of this material on the formation is difficult.
3. Maintenance of track laid on slag ballast is difficult.