Causes of Deterioration of Concrete26th June 2019
Causes of Deterioration of Concrete
Deterioration of concrete is caused due to the influence of both external and internal agencies. The external or environmental agencies causing the deterioration of concrete includes:
- Attack by natural or industrial liquids and gases.
- Acids in the form of water solution.
- Fertilizers, insecticides and certain organic compounds.
- Attack by biological agents.
The internal agencies responsible for the deterioration of concrete includes:
- Harmful alkali-aggregate reactions.
- Volume changes due to non-compatible thermal and mechanical properties of aggregates and cement paste.
- Presence of sulphates and chlorides in the ingredients of concrete.