The network formed by the flow lines and is the pattern which shows the path of flow as well as the dissipation of potential in a system of seepage through a layer of soil.
8 Properties of Flow Net
Following 8 properties of flow net are described below
- The flow lines and equipotential lines meet at right angles to each other
- Two flow line never cross each other.
- Two equipotential lines never cross each other.
- Flow and equipotential lines are smooth curves.
- The quantity of water flowing through each flow channel is the same.
- The same potential drop occurs between the successive equipotential lines.
- Two flow lines or equipotential line never start from the same point.
- Smaller the field, greater will be a hydraulic gradient.