11 Methods to Reduce Wear of Rails
In addition to coning of wheels and providing proper superelevation curves, the following methods are employed to reduce the wear of rails:
- By using the special alloy steel rails at places where wear is considerable.
- By regular tightening of fish bolts and packing of ballast.
- By reducing the number of joints by welding.
- By welding or de-hogging battered ends of rails in time.
- By regular maintenance of track with special attention to the joints.
- By maintaining the correct gauge.
- By using bearing plates.
- By lubricating the gauge face of the outer rail on curves regularly.
- By interchanging the inner and outer rails and changing faces at curves.
- By providing check rails at curves.
- By application of heavy mineral oil under an adverse atmosphere.