18 Safety Precautions in Tunnelling
Tunnelling is an underground construction and there are many types of risks during construction. Therefore, it is essential to take measures to protect the workers from accidents. Following are the 18 Safety Precautions in Tunnelling.
1. The floor of the tunnel should be kept dry and clean.
2. Open flames, electric short-circuiting should be avoided by providing proper covering over the power line and light.
3. Medical equipment and doctors should always be available at the site.
4. Fire fighting equipment with an excellent operator and sufficient water supply should be available at the site at all times.
5. Light and electric lines need to be entirely secured and insulated.
6. Unnecessary machines, tools, and construction material should be avoided to store in the tunnel.
7. All the machines and tools should be maintained in usable condition.
Read Also: Basic Construction Tools List
8. Working platforms should be checked periodically.
9. The communication system (like; a telephone) should be installed inside the tunnels for receiving and sending important information about tunnel conditions.
10. All the internal systems like communication systems, power systems, safety devices, and lighting should be checked periodically.
11. The double power supply should be provided so that the power from the standby unit can be restored during the power failure of one power supply.
12. Removal of rock protrusions by immediate hammering in the wake of blasting is known as scaling. The hammer stroke sound must be hard, not hollow. The hollow sound means loose rock.
13. Every worker must be aware of their safety.
14. Protective clothing, steel helmet, rubber gloves, goggles, etc. should be put on by every worker during their work.
15. The proper ventilation system should be provided in the tunnel as required.
16. Proper drainage must be provided.
17. Safety signboards should be provided at various places along the tunnel.
18. Without permission, no unauthorized person should be permitted to enter the tunnel.