18 Safety Precautions in Tunnelling29th February 2020
18 Safety Precautions in Tunnelling
Tunnelling is an underground construction and there are many types of risk during construction. Therefore, it is essential to take measure to protect the workers against accident, sometimes fatal, are essential. Following are the 18 Safety Precautions in Tunnelling.
1. The floor of the tunnel should be kept dry and clean.
2. Open flames, electric short-circuiting should be avoided by providing proper covering over power line and light.
3. Medical equipment and doctors should always be available at the site.
4. Fire fighting equipment with the excellent operator and sufficient water supply should be available at the site at all the time.
5. Light and electric lines need to be entirely secured and insulated.
6. Unnecessary machines, tools and construction material should be avoided to store in the tunnel.
7. All the machines and tools should be maintained in usable condition.
8. Working platforms should be checked periodically.
9. The communication system (like; telephone) should be installed inside the tunnels for receiving and sending important information about tunnel condition.
10. All the internal system like communication system, power system, safety devices and lighting should be checked periodically.
11. The double power supply should be provided so that the power from the stand by unit can be restored during power failure of one power supply.
12. Removal of rock protrusions by immediate hammering in the wake of blasting is known as scaling. The hammer stroke sound must be hard, not hollow. The hollow sound means loose rock.
13. Every worker must be aware of their safety.
14. Protective clothing, steel helmet, rubber gloves, goggles, etc. should be put on by every worker during their work.
15. The proper ventilation system should be provided in the tunnel as per required.
16. Proper drainage must be provided.
17. Safety sign boards should be provided at various place along the tunnel.
18. Without permission, no unauthorised person should be permitted to enter the tunnel.
To Read Some other notes visit – Engineering Brother