Settlement of Foundation
The settlement of foundation can be defined as the reduction in thickness of soil mass or as the vertical downward movement of the foundation base of a structure into the soil mass.
8 Cause of Settlement of Foundation
Settlement may be due to the one or more following factors
1. Due to external static loads from structures.
2. Due to self-weight of the soil such as recently placed fills.
3. Due to the lowering of the groundwater table.
4. Due to the flowing or slipping of soil particles.
5. Due to the excessive loading on the adjacent foundation.
6. Due to the excessive of surrounding soils.
7. Due to the impact effect of vibration.
8. Due to the failure of base concrete etc.