Functions Of Fine Aggregate
Fine aggregates perform the following functions:
|Gravel: Functions of Fine Aggregate in Concrete|
- It assists in producing workability and uniformly in mixture.
- It assists the cement paste to hard the coarse aggregate particles.
- It helps to prevent possible segregation of paste and coarse aggregate particularly during the transport operation of concrete for a long distance.
- It reduces the shrinkage of binding material.
- It prevents the development of a crack in the concrete.
- It fills the voids existing in the coarse aggregate. Thus, it helps in increasing the density of concrete.
- It assists in hardening of cement by allowing the penetration of water through its voids.
Functions Of Coarse Aggregate
Coarse aggregate is used in concrete to achieve the following functions:
|Functions of Coarse Aggregate in Concrete|
- It makes a solid & hard mass of concrete with cement and sand.
- It provides bulk to the concrete.
- It increases the crushing strength of concrete.
- It reduces the cost of concrete by using cheaper material.