General Principles of Thermal Insulation
The following are the general principles of thermal insulation:
1. More thermally insulated materials should be used in the construction of buildings.
2. The building should be constructed in such a way that the minimum of its area is exposed to direct sun.
3. The building should be oriented in such a way that the transfer of solar energy should be maximum in winter and minimum in summer.
4. The chajja over the doors and windows should be provided because it helps to reduce the direct effects of winds and solar energy. Direct effects of winds can also be reduced by providing Verandah on the side of the wind direction.
5. The thermal resistance of insulating material is directly proportional to its thickness and hence sufficient thickness of the material should be installed.
6. The arrangement of air gaps in the outer exposed walls proves to be a very effective measure for structural thermal insulation.
Characteristics of Fire-Resisting Materials