Traffic Control Devices
The various aids and devices used to control, regulate and guide traffic are known as traffic control devices. The commonly used traffic control devices are:
- Traffic signs or road signs.
- Traffic marking or road marking.
- Traffic island.
The main object of providing traffic control devices on road is to provide safe, convenient and economical transportation of persons and goods.
Basic Requirements of Traffic Control Devices
The traffic control devices must meet the following basic requirements:
1. It should provide a good visual guide to road users.
2. It should provide timely warning of the hazardous situation other important information.
3. It should not involve heavy maintenance expenditure.
4. It should involve a low initial cost.
5. It should have an aesthetically pleasing experience.