Advantages and Disadvantages of Traffic Signals
Following are the various advantages and disadvantages of traffic signals:
Advantages of Traffic Signals
Advantages of traffic signals are as follows:
1. Traffic signals help for movement of traffic securely without any collision.
2. They can reduce the number of accidents on roads like pedestrian accident and right-angle collision of two cars.
3. Signals can increase the capacity of traffic handling at the intersection.
4. The traffic signals help for the safe movement of slow-moving traffic by interrupting heavy traffic at regular intervals.
5. The indications of the signals can be seen easily in foggy weather or at night time. Without signalling system, it is very difficult to control traffic by the traffic policeman at night or in foggy weather or on a rainy day.
6. Traffic control by signals is accurate and economical as compared to traffic police control.
7. Under favourable conditions, they provide for continuous motion of traffic along a specified path.
Disadvantages of Traffic Signals
Disadvantages of traffic signals are as follows:
1. They delay the traffic by stopping the vehicles at the intersection during peak hours.
2. During signals breakdown, there are serious and wide-spread traffic difficulties during peak hours.
Objectives of Railway Signalling
Purpose of Traffic Volume Survey Study
Traffic Rotary and Their Advantages and Disadvantages