Advantages and Disadvantages of Traffic Signals
Following are the various advantages and disadvantages of traffic signals:
Advantages of Traffic Signals
The advantages of traffic signals are as follows:
1. Traffic signals help the movement of traffic securely without any collision.
2. They can reduce the number of accidents on roads like pedestrian accidents and right-angle collisions of two cars.
3. Signals can increase the capacity of traffic handling at the intersection.
4. The traffic signals help for the safe movement of slow-moving traffic by interrupting heavy traffic at regular intervals.
5. The indications of the signals can be seen easily in foggy weather or at night time. Without a signalling system, it is very difficult to control traffic by the traffic policeman at night or in foggy weather or on a rainy day.
6. Traffic control by signals is accurate and economical as compared to traffic police control.
7. Under favourable conditions, they provide for continuous motion of traffic along a specified path.
Disadvantages of Traffic Signals
Disadvantages of traffic signals are as follows:
1. They delay the traffic by stopping the vehicles at the intersection during peak hours.
2. During signal breakdown, there are serious and widespread traffic difficulties during peak hours.