Grid Iron System
⇛ Grid iron system is one method of the layout of distribution pipes. This system is also known as interlaced system or reticulation system.
⇛ In this system, the mains, sub-mains, and branches are interconnected with each other. Thus, this system provides free circulation of water through the pipelines.
⇛ Cut-off valves are provided at each junction point. This is suitable for well-planned towns and cities.
Advantages of Grid Iron System
The advantages of grid iron system are:
1. In case of repairs, a very small portion of the distribution area will be affected.
2. This system provides free circulation of water through the pipelines. Hence, it is not liable for pollution due to stagnation of water.
3. The head loss is minimum.
4. It provides sufficient supply during fire fighting.
Disadvantages of Grid Iron System
Disadvantages of grid iron system are:
1. This system requires more length of pipelines and the greater number of cut-off valves.
2. Its construction is costlier.
3. The design calculations are complicated and difficult.