Necessity of Road Drainage || Highway Enineering ||29th September 2020
Necessity of Road Drainage
Road drainge is neccesary becauses of the following reasons:
1. Variation of the moisture content in the soil causes variation in the volume of sub-grade and leads to the failure of the road pavement.
2. Excess moisture content in soil sub-grade causes a substantial reduction in its stability.
3. If the stability of the soil sub-grade fails due to poor drainage, the pavement structure is likely to fail due to sub-grade failure.
4. The entrance of water causes reduction in bearing capacity of soil sub-grades like WBM and stabilized soil.
5. The stagnation of water on the surface of the pavement reduces the strength of the pavement.
6. Due to poor drainage, waves and corrugations are formed in flexible pavement which causes failure of pavement.
7. Due to poor drainage of road, water remains in contact with the bituminous material for longer time causing stripping of bitumen from aggregates and formation of pot holes.
8. In rigid pavements failure occurs by mud pumping due to the presence of water in fine sub-grade soil.
9. Poor and improper surface drainage work causes erosion of soil from the top of the un-surfaced road, slopes, hill side, etc.
10. Increased in moisture content causes considerable increase in weight and thus increase in stress and simultaneous reduction in strength of the soil mass.
11. Due to excess water, the shoulders and the pavement structure gets damaged.