Advantages of Precast Concrete Piles
Advantages of precast concrete piles are as follows:
1. During concreting, the reinforcement which is used in the piles is not disturbed from its actual position.
2. Proper control in casting and curing can be exercised and if any defect after casting is noticed, it can be corrected before piles are used.
3. They can also be driven underwater.
4. Precast concrete piles are not affected by the chemical action of the subsoil.
5. They can be taking load immediately after their placing to their required place and no time is wasted.
6. Several piles can be manufactured side by side at a time, so its manufacturing cost is less than other types of piles.
Disadvantages of Precast Concrete Piles
Following are the disadvantages of precast piles
1. Being very heavy, transporting, handling and driving theme is very hard.
2. extra steel must be provided near the top and bottom of the piles, in order to avoid the stresses developed during handling and driving.
3. The precast concrete piles can not be cast in a correct length unless trial bores are made. Therefore, it becomes very difficult to cut extra length, if the pile is casted longer than the required length.
4. It may break without proper handling and driving.
5. The pile length is also restricted depending on the mode of transportation available.